In September 2011 the Royal Museum of Fine Arts Antwerp (Koninklijk Museum voor Schone Kunsten Antwerpen or KMSKA) closed its doors as it embarked on a radical restoration which is set to last several years. In anticipation of the reopening the Antwerp museum has loaned sixteen masterpieces from its collection to the Museum of Fine Arts in Ghent.
In the frame of the collection mobility project of the Flemish Art Collection (Vlaamse kunstcollectie or VKC) – the partnership of the art historical museums of Antwerp, Bruges and Ghent – Groeningemuseum in Bruges will include several fifteenth- and sixteenth-century masterpieces of KMSKA in its permanent exhibits. MSK in Ghent opted to exhibit nineteenth- and early twentieth-century art works but instead of focussing on artists that are not represented in MSK’s collection the museum preferred to emphasise an interaction with its permanent collection. The selection spans a century of visual arts production, with works by such artists as Henri Leys, Henri De Braekeleer, George Grosz and Ossip Zadkine.
Jules Schmalzigaug, Snelheid, © Lukas - Art in Flanders VZW / KMSKA, foto Hugo Maertens
Eugène Laermans, Storm, © Lukas - Art in Flanders VZW / KMSKA, foto Hugo Maertens
Henri Leys, Bezoek van Albrecht Dürer in Antwerpen in 1520, © Lukas - Art in Flanders VZW / KMSKA, foto Hugo Maertens